USL and the Environment
Along with our partners, USL is committed to delivering through our sustainability and environmental programmes. This is either via product research and development, or by simply enhancing the way we do business. Environmentally aware, our aim is to incorporate our environmental policies into all our projects and continue to improve our efficiency and standards.
We are committed to using technology to increase efficiency in our workplace. We use our website and email systems to keep customers up to date with changes in our services, rather than paper-based information trails. We also use an automated ordering system where possible to cut down on resources within our processes.
Our waste management programme includes:
- C-Bus lighting system throughout all office areas
- Energy efficient (LED) lighting in both the office and warehouse environment
- Daylight harvesting and light sensors for warehouse lighting
- Recycling ink cartridges for office printers - collected by a specialist company
- Recycling bins at convenient places in the office for cans, bottles and plastic
- Regular collection for recycling paper rubbish
- Hazardous waste sorted and separated into specific bins
USL works closely with our freight supplier PBT to manage and continually improve the order delivery and fulfilment of shipments. Some of the initiatives that have been implemented and have subsequently cut 'waste' out of the process are:
- Agreed order placement days
- Agreed order delivery day and timeframes
- Split order placement by bulk (pallet) fast moving lines, and standard carton lines
- Reduction in handling of freight by having on-site personnel
Stationery for internal use is recycled where appropriate. We have preferred suppliers, those with environmental policies and a commitment to recycling. The cleaning products that we use are all environmentally friendly and minimise pollutants.
More recent eco-friendly initiatives
We encourage staff to recycle and implement other energy efficient practices in their home life as a continuation of what we practice at work. Installation of electric car charging stations onsite helps promote environmentally friendlier travel. This installation is one step towards removing barriers for our staff to invest in EVs or hybrid vehicles by offering free charging while they are at work.
- Reusing cardboard cartons for carton fill – totally eliminating plastic packing in our warehouse
- Installation of Electric car charging stations onsite helps improve the environment and is one step to removing barriers for our staff to invest in EV’s or Hybrid vehicles - by offering free charging while they are at work.
- Improvements on plastic reduction in our USL product packaging (Crepe’s, conforming, aprons)